bedroom update

i did not anticipate our bedroom taking this long. last week i started to feel like it was never going to end. i was never going to move past those windows. this week though, there's a light at the end of my tunnel & i'm running towards it. let's start where we last left off. 2016.08.12

i needed to see major progress before i lost my shit so i pressed pause on paint scraping & primed the walls. i felt so much better after this.

2016.08.14(2)

day 7

i think i spent 4 hours scraping three pieces of trim to get here. i wanted to die but felt so victorious to have 1 window down*. this is also when i officially came to terms with the fact that i have given myself lead poisoning. i did remember to wear a mask 50% of the time so that counts for something right?

you can see all of the colors our woodwork has once been. the green is the first coat, then you can see a little bit of yellow on the top of the trim as coat #2, the beige that you see on the window sash under the white was coat #3 & then the white was coat #4. i didn't scrape all the way to the wood. the green doesn't really budge & once sanded, it's great for paint!

*the trim is done. the inside window frames & sashes will be done later on down the road when it's not 100 degrees & i do a full rehab, inside & out, of the windows. for now, i'll put a roller blind in the window & it will mostly hide the unfinished parts.

2016.08.17

major progress on the second window. i scraped until i literally couldn't anymore after mowing & weed eating the yard with ryan. i hope my arms come out of this project looking so beautifully sculpted.

day 15

sorry for how shitty this picture is. it was really late at night. i didn't have much time over the weekend to work so not much progress was made. i ended up having to scrape the right side of the closet trim because the paint was chipping pretty badly. i also got the first coats of paint up on this wall & cut in around the entire room.

2016.08.24 2016.08.24(3)

day 17

this is where i am now. i painted the ceiling and the 2nd & 3rd coats of cutting in are done. the doors are removed for future restoration (can i call sanding, repainting & redoing the hardware a restoration?).

walking by this room has made me so happy the last couple of days. i was getting really sick of it until i got that first coat of paint up & now it's so bright & beautiful. i can't wait to get in there & finish it up.

things left to do:

  • caulk, caulk, caulk!
  • second coat of paint on walls
  • one or two more coats on window trim
  • one or two more coats cutting in
  • install roller blinds
  • decide whether i want blackout roller blinds only or our current situation of light filtering blinds + curtains
  • replace all outlet & light switch covers
  • move bedroom necessities only back in (rug, mattress, tv, nightstands)
  • find a solution for the tv that fits with the room better
  • restore windows (sand/repaint frames, replace window sash chains)
  • restore doors (scrape, sand, paint black, replace hinges & door knobs)
  • eventually: add floor length mirror leaning against wall w/stool, linen duvet, bed pillows & shorter/more unconventional nightstands. paint closet.

shit. writing it out made it sound so much more daunting.